Thursday, January 14, 2016

Franny and Zooey, by J. D. Salinger

Simple cover for these two short stories.
I know it's been forever since my last and first book review for Notes in the Marginz, but here we are. Second book on the list goes to Franny and Zooey, by J. D. Salinger. For some reason I felt inclined to pick this number up from my local used bookstore in Jacksonville, Chamblin Bookmine (literally my favorite place in Jacksonville) and attempted reading it, quit, and forgot about it until this project happened. I am one of those people who really hate The Catcher in the Rye and I'm not looking forward to reading that one again for this stupid blog. Anyway I read this finally so here we go.


Bah.
Franny and Zooey are two short stories that were put together for reasons I can't explain (besides the fact that the two characters are brother and sister). The first one, "Franny," follows a girl named Franny who goes to her boyfriend's school and then goes out to lunch with him and faints because of religion. Or something along those lines. I mean, they're eating frog legs with martinis, so I don't know, man. Then it goes to "Zooey," where you spend a super long time with him in a bathtub and he has the weirdest conversation with his mom. Anyway Franny is his sister and she's going through some kind of weird mental breakdown because their brother died and she does the Jesus prayer but not necessarily to Jesus and Zooey just berates her for a bunch of shit and she cries and then he calls her pretending to be one of their other siblings and suddenly everything is fine.

I had to take my glasses off so I could rub my eyes in agony.
I really didn't care for this besides when I was bored and really wanted to hear the long, drawn-out list of everything in Zooey's medicine cabinet. Christ. Maybe someday I'll read this again but for now I'm just really excited to be done with this.

NOTES IN THE MARGINZ FACTS
Book number: 2
Books left: 337
Amount of time taken to read: 20 days
Books by J. D. Salinger for NitM: 2

x

No comments:

Post a Comment